trigger for the post: No ownership, no accountability – wikis, collaboration software, social media, Enterprise 2.0 and how not to get things done.
1. Business is a value chain, a social value chain with a clear purpose.
2. I am a part of a value chain and will have to do my part. For that I need ownership to what I’m supposed to do. Either I do it or somebody else does it.
3. We all need accountability, if somebody else is dependent on what I’m supposed to do I better get down to it. And vice versa.
Thinking about collaboration
Collaboration takes place when you do what you are good at, and when you let other people do what they are good at.
mmm.. It looks like we still have no software in the enterprise to make the people accountable
What features do we need?
1. When I have a problem to solve, I will create an item which will consist of a short-text, details, (attachment!?), tags, people-who-i-think-can-help-me
2. Now some one in the list of people-who-i-think-can-help-me could either help me, give a clue, and/or add more people-who-they-think-can-help-me
3. repeat step 2 until problem is solved !
4. Whenever I have a new problem, I should rank the new problem relative to the list of existing issues so that the people-who-i-think-can-help-me know my priorities
5. Users should be able to change their relationship to items from “i can and am trying to help” to “i cannot help but interested in the outcome” – Now the software should let people get updates depending on this relationship like “update on every change: new clue/memo/hint or new people” or “update weekly” or “update at the end of closure” etc
6. let answers be rated i.e., thank users for the clues/hints..
Is there any software that has the above features ?
(NextBestAction is something am working on with the above requirements in mind)
note: PLM is usually Product Life Cycle Management
can also be Problem Life Cycle Management